Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Favorite Post-Grunge 90s Moment

Two weeks into the 8th Grade, I was a devout follower of all things 90s rock courtesy of the local station "Today's 99.3" in Northampton that played all the monster hits by Orbit, Spacehog, Better Than Ezra, Gin Blossoms, and of course, The Wallflowers, who made the cover of Rolling Stone that summer and were making waves with that heartthrob son of Bob Dylan's fronting the band. Hell, they were my first concert in 7th Grade at Mount Holyoke College. But I'm rambling already.

Point is, I was probably as big a Wallflowers fan as one could be, but also a closet Springsteen fan (nobody admits this in 7th grade when you hate your parents' music as a matter of principle, but I'd grown up on the Boss, and I could play his entire first 6 albums on guitar), when THIS happened at the MTV Video Music Awards. It was f-ing incredible. I don't think I could have been more pumped if I tried. They take this video down pretty quickly whenever it goes up on youtube, so have a gander while you can.

For a great analysis of what's happening here, I quote awesome ESPN columnist Bill 'The Sports Guy' Simmons, and one of his readers. 

No comments: